Recomended <span class="highlight">Tyre</span> <span class="highlight">Pressures</span>

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 21, 2010 at 22:44
ThreadID: 83178 Views:4343 Replies:8 FollowUps:18
This Thread has been Archived
After a drawn out discussion with a mate, we have decided to put it to the masses, I guess this thread has been looked at before but I have searched and cant find anything.

What are the recommended tyre pressures for travelling on corrugated roads?

Cheers
Richard
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Drew - Karratha - Tuesday, Dec 21, 2010 at 22:52

Tuesday, Dec 21, 2010 at 22:52
I might be wrong (probably am) but I thought it would depend on a combination of: the type of car (more specifically the weight of the car), brand of tyres, load being carried, speed travelled, size of the corrugations, towing or not....
Drew

ps - if I am loaded up with camping gear (Landcruiser with Bridgestone tyres) I woud normally drop them to about 25psi - but have been down to about 20....
AnswerID: 439550

Follow Up By: richard70au - Tuesday, Dec 21, 2010 at 22:57

Tuesday, Dec 21, 2010 at 22:57
Sorry, I should have mentioned that.

It is a NJ Pajero, Maxxis MA-751, loaded with a small camper trailer.

Looking at cutting across the Plenty Hwy from Alice Springs to Boulia then down to Birdsville.

Cheers
FollowupID: 711417

Follow Up By: Flynnie - Tuesday, Dec 21, 2010 at 23:25

Tuesday, Dec 21, 2010 at 23:25
Usually between 20 and 25 on my cruiser on heavy corrugations. Lower pressures do mean you have to drop the speed. Many drivers travel too fast with too high pressures and bust things. Too fast on low tyre pressures will cause problems too, like overheating the tyres. I only go below 20 on sand.

Expect you will take an air compressor and you can experiment a bit to see what suits you.

Flynnie
FollowupID: 711419

Follow Up By: Voxson - Wednesday, Dec 22, 2010 at 00:15

Wednesday, Dec 22, 2010 at 00:15
22psi...............................................................................
FollowupID: 711422

Follow Up By: Member - Matt L (WA) - Wednesday, Dec 22, 2010 at 00:19

Wednesday, Dec 22, 2010 at 00:19
Been on the Plenty six times and carry a good ton in my Cruiser, run the BFG'S at 50 psi rear 40 front and sit on between 60/70 kms per hr when i can a lot of the time down to 40 kms per hour. No blow outs and haven't brocken anything yet. Also tow an off road Pop Top. Speed will kill everything and your wallet. There is no fuel at Tobermory anymore so will pay to fill up at Jervois Station.
FollowupID: 711423

Follow Up By: 3GoBush - Wednesday, Dec 22, 2010 at 00:30

Wednesday, Dec 22, 2010 at 00:30
Hey Matt L

I agree totally, It is not rocket science.
FollowupID: 711425

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Dec 22, 2010 at 08:44

Wednesday, Dec 22, 2010 at 08:44
Richard
The roads that you are intending to drive are usually good roads to drive and if you work on the 20% rule, or like Voxson has stated, will will be on the mark.

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 711436

Reply By: Outback Bob - Tuesday, Dec 21, 2010 at 22:53

Tuesday, Dec 21, 2010 at 22:53
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Trolling Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
AnswerID: 439551

Reply By: Rock Ape - Wednesday, Dec 22, 2010 at 07:21

Wednesday, Dec 22, 2010 at 07:21
Richard,
no hard and fast rule or should I say rule at all.

My preference is to run 28 psi on mild corrugations down to 22 psi as the going gets tougher. I know my body/teeth and poor old cruiser both appreciate the pressure drop.

Have a good one
AnswerID: 439558

Follow Up By: Rock Ape - Wednesday, Dec 22, 2010 at 07:24

Wednesday, Dec 22, 2010 at 07:24
Richard,
Just read the extra bit about the Plenty highway.

Like all dirt roads it will depend on grading and how soft the road is after rain.

FollowupID: 711430

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Wednesday, Dec 22, 2010 at 07:46

Wednesday, Dec 22, 2010 at 07:46
Richard,

Depends on load, but my approach on reasonable gravel is to drop about 20% from normal bitumen pressure, more than that if the corrugations are really bad. Speed must come down too - by more than the pressure drop. I reckon making the tyres flex doesn't hurt them and it certainly saves the vehicle and occupants.

On really bad corrugations like these I'd be down 50% and traveling slowly.Image Could Not Be Found.

There's a compromise between overheating the shocks, damaging self and vehicle, and overheating the tyres. Try a search for the "4psi rule" for info on acceptable tyre heating.

Cheers

John

J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 439560

Follow Up By: PradOz - Wednesday, Dec 22, 2010 at 10:35

Wednesday, Dec 22, 2010 at 10:35
Hi John

I also know about the 4 PSI rule, but one part that I have often read stands out and it often doesnt get related in conversations. I was curious as to what your opinion of it was if you have heard about it...

Most publications of the 4 PSI rule state that 4 PSI is for CAR tyres BUT to use 6 PSI for larger 4WD tyres. Any comment as to whether you believe it should be 4 or 6 PSI?

And when is a tyre large enough to be considered for the 6 PSI Rule (ie: does a standard 4WD tyre mean 6 PSI or it is only if the tyre size is increased as often it is for more serious 4WDing, larger Muddies, competition stuff etc) - cheers....
FollowupID: 711450

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Wednesday, Dec 22, 2010 at 13:43

Wednesday, Dec 22, 2010 at 13:43
Hi,

I look on the 4psi rule as a guide only, as too many other factors interfere with it to take it too literally. (For those not familiar with this "rule" - one school of thought that's fairly widely held is that tyre pressures should be set so that the heating caused by the flexing of a tyre will result in a pressure rise of 4psi - measure pressure before driving and again after 50 km or so when it's warmed up - if the pressure's gone up by less than 4 psi, let some more air out, if more than 4psi put some in.)

In practice, the tyres on the sunny side get much hotter than those on the shady side. In practice the loading is different on each wheel. In practice most gauges aren't consistent enough or accurate enough to allow us to be too fussy. Then there's the matter raised by PradOz - 4psi or 6psi? It really isn't possible to use the rule rigidly. I think the 4 v's 6 psi debate arises from the fact that larger tyres will often be running at higher pressures, so 6psi represents the same percentage pressure (hence temperature) change as 4psi in a smaller tyre. I generally consider percent changes rather than absolutes, and in rough going check the temperature of shocks and tyres periodically as a guide to which one's being worked too hard. Working too hard also points to too much speed.

Apart from comfort, dropping tyre pressures has the big advantage of creating a bigger footprint and better traction. Not a recommendation, but to indicate practicable ranges of pressures, with a loaded Troopy on bitumen I usually run about 30/35 psi with fat tyres (more with narrow splits), drop to 25/28 on good gravel and down below 20 on loose sand. As said - that's not a recommendation and the optimum for other vehicles, loading, tyres, drivers etc.... will be different.

Very important to slow down at reduced pressures.

John

J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 711469

Follow Up By: Crackles - Wednesday, Dec 22, 2010 at 22:32

Wednesday, Dec 22, 2010 at 22:32
I find the 4 psi rule a load of rubbish. Who in their right mind would stop every 50km to check tyre pressures? In reality we constantly change speed, drive on different surfaces in sun & shade, dry, wet & even snow. You would have to have an automated onboard self inflation system to make it work.
Better to use history as a guide to what works for different vehicles & ajust to your own circumstances. This link is a good start angled at minimising punctures on outback roads but the recommended pressures would give a reasonable ride on corrugations too. Pressure guide.
FollowupID: 711506

Follow Up By: PradOz - Wednesday, Dec 22, 2010 at 22:59

Wednesday, Dec 22, 2010 at 22:59
The 4psi rule doesnt require you to stop EVERY 50km. I believe the recommendation is a stop after about 100km (from all the bits i have read on the 4psi rule). If the pressures were right at stop 1 you check them only once. If it required adjustment after 1st stop you may want to check them again, up to the individual and their experience, confidence etc. Most people stop regularly for breaks so its not a drama to quickly check the tyres is it? When I tow i always walk around and check everything at every stop i do just in case something has come adrift or requires attention. Better than just getting out and walking off missing something obvious that could prevent a problem later. I think the 4psi rule is a good way to start looking at your pressures and when you are more comfortable with your setup you wouldnt need to check them at each stop. By doing th e4psi bit you can check your air guage and know whats happening in your tyres too. All comes down to experience and personal circumstances....
FollowupID: 711513

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Thursday, Dec 23, 2010 at 07:06

Thursday, Dec 23, 2010 at 07:06
Crackles - I wasn't suggesting stopping every 50km to check tyre pressures, simply trying to express in a sentence or 2 the essence of the the "rule", which is to aim for a 4psi increase in pressure once the tyres have warmed up. The 50 km figure is a reasonable time for the tyres to reach a "warmed up" state. You quickly learn from experience the pressures that will produce the desired effect. The effect itself is very variable for the reasons you give, and others reasons too, especially loading. I don't use the rule myself - nor do I use rude and abrasive language like "load of rubbish", "Who in their right mind..."

Your link to the Pink Roadhouse recommendations is a good one and distills a lot of outback experience into a small space.

John
J and V
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 711518

Follow Up By: Crackles - Thursday, Dec 23, 2010 at 12:53

Thursday, Dec 23, 2010 at 12:53
I understand how the principle is theoretically supposed to work but unless someone is driving at a constant speed in the same conditions, the variation in pressure will always change. So to make the rule work you would need to stop & check everytime environmental influences changed. There are many anomalies to the rule as well like if you were to drive on a tar road in the wet at 100kph with 20 psi (something no one recommends) the water would cool the tyres & be lucky to get a 2 psi rise.
As I was speaking in general terms John there was nothing rude or abrasive meant simply colloquial terms that I felt best describe the 4 psi rule.
Cheers Craig............
FollowupID: 711537

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Dec 22, 2010 at 08:16

Wednesday, Dec 22, 2010 at 08:16
Richard

You will find that there is no recommended pressure, each to there own and common sense should prevail, but......

If you do not want to shake your vehicle to pieces, then reducing you tyre pressure will make the biggest difference to the ride and comfort inside your vehicle. The are many times where increased speed will not work and good examples are the corrugations on the Anne Beadell Highway, the top section of the Connie Sue Highway, sections of the Gunbarrel Highway etc.

We dropped ours to 18psi on the AB and had no problems and made the trip enjoyable. You must also remember that with the drop in pressure, there was also a drop in speed and most times we were sitting from 30 - 60 kph

The tyre will act as a shock absorber, the tighter the tyre, the greater the shock will be transmitted throughout you vehicle, no questions asked.

It is your call but I know what I do.

Cheers

Stephen

Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 439561

Follow Up By: Dasher Des - Wednesday, Dec 22, 2010 at 09:43

Wednesday, Dec 22, 2010 at 09:43
I have to agree with Stephen on dropping to lower pressures. having high pressures on badly corrugated roads is just lunacy. Everything just shakes to pieces and in time, things will break, especially shockers which just over heat and the oil will boil inside them unless you buy the super expensive competition type.
FollowupID: 711440

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Dec 22, 2010 at 10:38

Wednesday, Dec 22, 2010 at 10:38
Good post Stephen

Phil
FollowupID: 711451

Follow Up By: Member - Matt L (WA) - Wednesday, Dec 22, 2010 at 10:46

Wednesday, Dec 22, 2010 at 10:46
Nice photos , is the tryes on the Prado and Troopy at 18 psi ?
FollowupID: 711455

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Dec 22, 2010 at 10:56

Wednesday, Dec 22, 2010 at 10:56
Hi Matt
On my Prado, I was running 22psi. The Troopy was complaining how bad it was and everything was shaking to pieces in his vehicle and was running 40psi. He dropped his pressure and could not believe the difference.

The Connie Sue corrugations were for only about 40 kilometres, where as the Anne Beadell were over 800 kilometres and worse.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 711456

Reply By: gbc - Wednesday, Dec 22, 2010 at 12:48

Wednesday, Dec 22, 2010 at 12:48
No one's mentioned the Plenty chewing out your tyres if you run them at highway pressures.
Again, depends on when it was last graded, but you can destroy new tyres in an hour running them at highway pressure on the rocks.

I'm at about 25 psi in a dual cab with LT's, as a general rule.
AnswerID: 439572

Reply By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Wednesday, Dec 22, 2010 at 20:44

Wednesday, Dec 22, 2010 at 20:44
Total agreement with all the posts re dropping pressure and speed. Much more comfortable travelling and reduced stress on the vehicle. On smooth bitumen an optimum pressure for a particular speed/weight can be calculated.
The general principles given in the previous posts work fine - you cannot get it exact offroad as road conditions will change constantly.
I note that the one person who keeps theirs on 50psi also reduces speed so the impact damage will be reduced. If he lowetred the tyre pressures as well he'd do even better and certainly be more comfortable.
If in doubt, try it for half an hour at the high pressures, then drop them back. You'll see what everyone means.
AnswerID: 439605

Reply By: Member - Ed C (QLD) - Thursday, Dec 23, 2010 at 17:13

Thursday, Dec 23, 2010 at 17:13
One point that I've not seen mentioned here (if it was, I missed it;-)), is the effect on the road/ track surface....

It is my firm belief that a major cause of the continuing dererioration of so many un-maintained tracks, is this ridiculous "skip over the top" mentality.....
People who do this are literlly "hammering" the the road surface, and so the corrugations continue to get worse...

Coupled with this, is the lack of control, and I'll give good odds that by far the majority of vehicle roll-overs on gravel roads involve this ridiculous "skip over the top" practice that far too many people seem to think is necessary.....

As already stated, lower tyre pressures,AND reduced speed, will not only be a lot kinder to the vehicle (and everything in it), but will also go a long way towards lessening the damage to the road surface, brought about by this ridiculous "skip over the top" mentality....

As for what pressures, well I have run as low as 15 psi (& 8 psi on trailer) on the real severe corrugations east of Emu (and that softens them quite a bit ;-)), & when they're less severe, around mid-20s on vehicle, & 15 or so on trailer will usually suffice....

:)

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 439661

Sponsored Links